Tungsten and tungsten alloys exhibit excellent thermal and electrical conductivity, high density, resistance to thermal shock and corrosion, and a low vapor pressure at high temperatures. These properties make tungsten an ideal material for use in a variety of demanding applications including industrial furnaces, semiconductor manufacturing equipment, aerospace, and in many other applications.
In addition to the pure metal, Elmet provides these tungsten-based alloys to achieve specific performance characteristics:
- Tungsten – Potassium (WK)
- Potassium doped product is targeted for use where high temperature non-sag wire properties are required in the lighting and electronic industries. In addition, the doped product in the rod form exhibits superior strength and machinability in other industrial applications.
- Tungsten Lanthana (WLa)
- Lanthanated W is targeted for applications requiring high temperature performance with improved creep resistance, increased strength, and higher recrystallization temperature.
- Symbol: W
- Category: Transition Metal, Group VI
- Atomic Number: 74
- Density: 19.25 g / cm3
- Melting Point: 3420 °C, highest metal, 2nd highest of elements
- Discovered: 1781
- Low vapor pressure
- High electrical resistance
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)
- Good thermal conductivity
- High density
- Strong corrosion resistance
- High elastic modulus