With a melting point of over 3400 °C, good thermal and electrical conductivity, high density, resistance to thermal shock and corrosion, and a low vapor pressure at high temperatures, Tungsten is the performance metal for a variety of demanding applications. It is widely used in industrial furnaces, semiconductor manufacturing equipment, aerospace, and in many other applications with high temperature or corrosive environments.
In addition to the pure metal, Elmet provides these tungsten-based alloys to achieve specific performance characteristics:
- Tungsten – Potassium (WK)
- Potassium doped product is targeted for use where high temperature non-sag wire properties are required in the lighting and electronic industries. In addition, the doped product in the rod form exhibits superior strength and machinability in other industrial applications.
- Tungsten Lanthana (WLa)
- Lanthanated W is targeted for applications requiring high temperature performance with improved creep resistance, increased strength, and higher recrystallization temperature.
- Symbol: W
- Category: Transition Metal, Group VI
- Atomic Number: 74
- Density: 19.25 g / cm3
- Melting Point: 3420 °C, highest metal, 2nd highest of elements
- Discovered: 1781
- Low vapor pressure
- High electrical resistance
- Low coefficient of thermal expansion (CTE)
- Good thermal conductivity
- High density
- Strong corrosion resistance
- High elastic modulus