TUNGSTEN HEAVY ALLOY MATERIAL
US Made Tungsten Heavy Alloy (WHA). Elmet is a 100% US owned, fully integrated, leading producer of high-quality tungsten heavy alloy material and parts. Elmet is ISO, AS9100, and ITAR registered and a qualified supplier to many Tier 1/2 aerospace and defense contractors that leverage our specialty tungsten material as balance weights, flight hardware, and munition subcomponents. Our tungsten heavy alloy meets all ASTM B-777 and MIL-T-21014D requirements.
Elmet Technologies presses and sinters high-quality tungsten heavy alloy (WHA) blocks, rods, and shaped parts. Sintered WHA blanks can be further rolled or swaged by Elmet to produce plates, sheets, and rods with ultimate tensile strengths exceeding 180 ksi (1240 MPa) and elongations exceeding 5%. Elmet also precision machines WHA parts for use as ballast weights, radiation shields, boring bars, ordnance components, and other components that require high density and good ductility.
Elmet produces its own pure tungsten powder at its facility in Lewiston, Maine and has a large blending and alloying capability.
In addition to the below standard blends, we also offer a 93% tungsten blend with enhanced swaged rod properties and several non-metallic (NM) blends.
- ASTM B-777 MIL-T-21014D, Class 1 which has 90% tungsten content by weight %.
- ASTM B-777 MIL-T-21014D, Class 2 which has 92.5% tungsten content by weight %.
- ASTM B-777 MIL-T-21014D, Class 3 which has 95% tungsten content by weight %.
- ASTM B-777 MIL-T-21014D, Class 4 which has 97% tungsten content by weight %.
CHEMICAL COMPOSITION AND AS-SINTERED MECHANICAL PROPERTIES
- Other alloy compositions and properties may be available as a special order
- All WHA products are compliant with EU RoHS Directive 2002/95/EC, 2011/65/EU and with REACH Regulation (EC) No. 1907/2006
- All WHA defense products are compliant with section 871 of the FY2019 National Defense Authorization Act, codified at 10 U.S.C. 2533c, and the January 28, 2019 acquisition directive from the Office of the Under Secretary of Defense. Click here for a link to the NDAA guidance.
- All raw materials for Elmet’s WHA rod products are obtained from certified conflict-free sources
STANDARD WHA ASTM B-777 MIL-T-21014D PRODUCT SIZES
Pressed and Sintered Parts:
Elmet has industry-leading expertise and experience in pressing and sintering ASTM B-777 material. We also offer precision machining, forming, and fabrication services. Leading companies purchase Elmet-made tungsten heavy alloy material for applications such as ballast weights, radiation shields, boring bars, ordnance components and other components requiring high density and good ductility.
Pressed and Sintered Standard Sizes (Shorter Lead-Time):
- 6.0” x 4.8” x 2.3” Tungsten Heavy Alloy ASTM B-777 machining blank
- 4.6” x 3.4” x 2.1” Tungsten Heavy Alloy ASTM B-777 machining blank
- 7.0” x 2.3” x 2.0” Tungsten Heavy Alloy ASTM B-777 machining blank
- 6.0” x 1.5” x 1.5” Tungsten Heavy Alloy ASTM B-777 machining blank
- 0.720” x 26” rod Tungsten Heavy Alloy ASTM B-777 machining blank
- 0.490” x 26” rod Tungsten Heavy Alloy ASTM B-777 machining blank
Please contact Elmet to see what inventory is in stock or to discuss your application and any mill run minimum order sizes that might exist. Other sizes are available.
WHA Hot Swaged Rods with Enhanced Mechanical Properties:
Elmet is a leader of providing Tungsten Heavy Alloy (WHA) hot swaged rod material with enhanced properties. Elmet Technologies can adjust swaging and heat-treating conditions to produce WHA rods with specific combinations of strength and ductility.
Swaged Rods are produced in diameters <.25” to >1” based on customer requirements.
WHA rods are swaged and cut to size to customer specified thickness, length, surface finish as well as other material properties. We also offer high volume, precision machining, threading, and gun-drilling services. As with all of our materials, our rod begins as metal powder, pressed into ingots, sintered, and then swaged and drawn down. Our advanced drawing / swaging process enables us to tailor the product to meet specific customer material and performance requirements to ensure optimal performance in your application.
Other alloy compositions and properties may be available as a special order.
WHA Hot Rolled Plate and Sheet Products:
Elmet has been hot rolling pure tungsten and molybdenum for over 80 years and is the only US owned tungsten producer with hot rolling capabilities. Leveraging our leading pure tungsten metal plate and sheet capabilities, Elmet has recently begun offering a range of tungsten heavy alloy plate and tungsten heavy alloy sheet products in varying thickness and length and per our customer request. As with all of our materials, our WHA plate and sheet begins as metal powder, is pressed into ingots, sintered, and then rolled. The process enables us to tailor the product to meet specific customer material and/or performance requirements to ensure optimal performance in your application.
Hot Rolled WHA Plate and Sheet Standard Sizes:
- .080” to 1” thick. Widths and lengths available up to 24”
Please contact one of our application specialists at 1.800.343.8008 to find out more about our tungsten heavy alloy capabilities and sizes.